Monthly Archives:May 2019

Closed

Rematch … Kerrin McEvoy brings Guineas Prelude winner Epaulette back to scale.MEMORIES of the Todman Stakes and Epaulette’s narrow defeat by Pierro are fuelling Kerrin McEvoy’s ambition of back-to-back Caulfield Guineas successes on Saturday.
Nanjing Night Net

Epaulette, which is a Commands half-brother to Helmet, last year’s Guineas winner, headed Pierro in last year’s Todman before Gai Waterhouse’s still-unbeaten star fought back to win by a short half-head.

”I felt like I was home. We got there [to the front] and [he] had a look around,” McEvoy said after the Todman as Nash Rawiller claimed he had taught Pierro how to fight.

It was the closest any horse has got to Pierro and in two meetings since, Epaulette finished last in the Golden Slipper, which is best forgotten, and 2½-lengths third in the Run To The Rose dominated by Pierro.

”He [Pierro] is the benchmark for the three-year-olds there is no doubt about that,” McEvoy said. ”The Todman is a long time ago but it is the closest anything has got to him. My horse has definitely got better since but so has Pierro. He definitely has the runs on the board and is a lot stronger and has been very impressive in everything he has done.”

The $1 million Guineas over 1600 metres will be the first time Pierro steps up to group 1 level as a three-year-old but his record of eight wins without defeat, including the Golden Slipper, Sires’ Produce Stakes and Champagne Stakes, entitled him to the short quote of $1.35 with bookmakers. His Bill Stutt Stakes romp over the mile at Moonee Valley 10 days ago helped to trim that quote further.

Epaulette is the only real threat and $7 is freely available about his chances, even after his Golden Rose victory and a workmanlike performance in the Guineas Prelude at Caulfield eight days ago.

”He has been good at his past two [runs] but this is the ultimate test,” McEvoy said. ”This is the race we have targeted with him and we are taking on a very, very good three-year-old in Pierro. All I can say is I’m very happy with my horse.”

It will be Epaulette’s first run at 1600m but he looks like he will be suited by the trip. McEvoy indicated the barrier draw could play a big role in how the Guineas is run, but expects Pierro will be in front of Epaulette during the race.

Epaulette relaxed at the tail in the Golden Rose and stormed home to win at Rosehill, but showed versatility to be much closer in the Prelude but lacked the killer instinct when it looked as if he was going to blow his rivals away.

”It would be as good to be as close as possible to Pierro but we won’t be making any decisions about that until after the barrier draw,” McEvoy said. ”He is going to have something to chase this time I’m sure of that.”

Pierro will be the only runner from the Waterhouse stable as Kabayan and Proisir will be saved for targets later in the spring.

McEvoy has picked up the ride on Alain de Royer-Dupre-trained Shahwardi in Saturday’s Herbert Power Handicap, which offers direct entry into the Caulfield Cup.

The Melbourne Cup-winning jockey’s European experience helped in getting the ride on the French stayer, which has 51.5 kilograms in the the Caulfield and Melbourne Cups, and ran a close-up third in the Prix Kergorlay at Deauville at his most recent outing on August 19. It is the race Americain and Dunaden came through on their way to Melbourne Cup victory in the past two years. Also, Shahwardi is a two-time winner over the Caulfield Cup distance of 2400 metres, albeit in 2009.

McEvoy will get acquainted with the seven-year-old when he works him at Werribee this morning in preparation for Saturday. ”I have never ridden for Alain before, so it was a honour when he rang to ride Shahwardi,” he said. ”He needs to win a race like Saturday’s if he is going to get into the cups and it will be interesting to see how he measures up.”

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

Closed

Reforms to give consumers a say

May 28th, 2019 / / categories: 江苏夜网 /

A new tribunal must approve ECT for involuntary patients.A NEW tribunal will be required to approve electroconvulsive therapy treatment for involuntary patients as part of an overhaul of Victoria’s mental health laws announced by the state government.
Nanjing Night Net

Victoria is the only jurisdiction in Australia that allows ECT without the consent of the patient and without either an external review from a tribunal or a second psychiatrist.

The former Labor government began a review of the 26-year-old Mental Health Act but it has been delayed for almost two years since the Coalition won office in 2010.

In releasing details of the reforms, Mental Health Minister Mary Wooldridge said the government took into account hundreds of written submissions and extensive public consultation.

She said the reforms would allow mentally ill patients more say in their treatment, including stating their preferences in advance in case they became too unwell to communicate them.

Patients will also be able to nominate a person to support them during compulsory treatment, which would be deemed necessary only to prevent harm to the patient or others.

A new mental health tribunal comprising a doctor, a lawyer and a community representative will be required to approve compulsory treatment orders beyond 28 days, as well as ECT treatment if the patient is unable to consent.

In a submission to the review St Vincent’s Hospital warned that waiting for tribunal approval for ECT could delay treatment.

Speaking to The Age about the reforms, Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Psychiatrists spokesman Malcolm Hopwood said ECT was an effective and sometimes life-saving treatment for severe mental illness.

”It is a significant change to require the authority of a tribunal to proceed, and we’ll obviously be looking very closely at the detail of how that’s going to be governed, and provisions around cases that require immediate treatment,” he said.

Associate Professor Hopwood welcomed the government’s decision not to proceed with penalties of up to a year’s jail for psychiatrists who breached ECT regulations.

He said there were more appropriate mechanisms for dealing with bad practice, including through the medical board.

Mental Illness Fellowship chief executive Elizabeth Crowther said the reforms were ”very significant”, particularly in recognising that patients’ capacity to make decisions about their treatment could fluctuate.

”Being able to work with the person while they are well and saying you can have some control over what happens to you when you are unwell is a sensational change,” Ms Crowther said.

Ms Wooldridge said the government planned to introduce a bill into Parliament by June, with the laws to take effect a year later.

A new mental health complaints commissioner to be appointed as part of the reforms will have ”broad powers to investigate services, make recommendations and issue compliance notices for serious and flagrant breaches of the legislation”, according to a government summary.

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

Closed

Cath Roper works at Melbourne University with mental health nursing students.IT’S A good thing Cath Roper, who is no grudge holder, can appreciate the ironic reversal in her relationship with the state of Victoria.
Nanjing Night Net

During 13 years of involuntary admissions to state psychiatric hospitals, Ms Roper was forcibly injected, thrown into solitary confinement, left to defecate and urinate without facilities and on one occasion sexually assaulted by a charge nurse.

In a remarkable turnaround, the same state health department now pays Ms Roper to work at Melbourne University, where she teaches new generations of mental health nursing students to treat tomorrow’s patients somewhat better.

Researchers and health bureaucrats say the arrival of people with openly declared experiences of mental illness into influential positions is improving mental health care and lives across Australia.

Sought out for their ”expertise by experience”, these mental health ”consumers”, as many call themselves, are conducting high-level research, working openly in government departments and even running a few mental health services staffed exclusively by people who have experienced mental illness.

Tomorrow, in an initiative welcomed by consumer representatives, Victoria’s Department of Health will introduce bi-monthly meetings between the state’s most senior mental health bureaucrats and about 50 ”consumer consultants”, all of whom have experiences of mental illness.

So is Ms Roper, a former public school teacher who was pushed out of her job after one of her hospitalisations – only to later become Australia’s first permanent ”consumer academic” – bitter about the Victorian state’s oddly bipolar attitude towards her?

”It has been remarkable, but no, I’m not a grudge holder,” Ms Roper says. ”And the beauty of this form of teaching is that the painful things you’ve experienced become fodder and inspiration – they’re incubated into learning for the students.”

Southern Health’s mental health program director of carer and consumer relations, Vrinda Edan, says consumers should be ”much more involved in policy”.

”Consumers,” says Ms Edan, who has been given multiple diagnoses, ”are people who, because they have lived through very high levels of distress, are the real experts in how to overcome that.”

In New South Wales, consumer advocate and service manager Janet Meagher was recently appointed an Australian mental health commissioner by the federal government. She has lived with schizophrenia since the 1970s.

Queensland consumer and former teacher Jude Bugeja manages a public residential mental health service run and exclusively staffed by people with an experience of mental illness. ”We have walked the walk,” the founding manager of the service, called Brook RED, told The Age, ”and it’s natural for someone [experiencing mental distress] to seek support and ideas from … someone who has ‘been there’.”

Meanwhile, Queensland’s health department has chosen a mental health services consumer, Rick Austin, to manage its Consumer, Carer and Family Team.

At least one person with a declared experience of mental illness is known to be employed in the Victorian health department’s mental health division.

However it is not always smooth sailing for consumers involved in the health sector.

International studies have found that medically oriented health professionals, such as psychiatrists, are among the least enthusiastic about involving consumers in mental health care.

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

Closed

My school report
Nanjing Night Net

Neal Harvey, 33, is the creative producer of the Melbourne Fringe Festival. It ends this week and has featured more than 300 shows.

Schools attended:

St James Primary in Coorparoo, Brisbane, then my family moved to the US when I was seven. I was enrolled at Notre Dame Elementary in St Louis.

I had to skip ahead six months because of the timing of the school year but I struggled academically. The syllabus was so different and I couldn’t catch up. I used to be good at school and now nothing made sense.

When we returned to Australia, I rejoined my former class at St James for a short while. I had a new appreciation for the way Miss Burn, my grade 4 teacher, understood that everyone learns differently. She spent as much time as she could with the students who were struggling and she tried to adapt the curriculum to each child’s strengths. I then went to Villanova College, Brisbane from years 5 to 12.

Favourite subject:

Physics because I liked its discipline and knowing that the problems were, ultimately, solvable. I also loved drama for its playfulness and, in contrast to physics, unknowingness and uncertainty.

Teacher who changed my life:

Rosemary O’Neill who taught speech in action (a style of public speaking) from grades 5 to 7. When I was in grade 6, I and another student topped Queensland in speech in action in the Australian Music Examination Board awards. It was a turning point because I realised it was something I enjoyed and could pursue. Rosemary O’Neill was a very good teacher and the first person who had an impact on my future career.

Sports/academic prizes won:

The Philip Parsons Prize for performance research at the University of Queensland and an Australian postgraduate award to undertake my doctorate in theatre and cultural studies.

When I was 12 I wanted to be:

Marty McFly from the Back to the Future movies.

In grade 6 I sat next to:

Michael Baldwin, who was a very good friend through to year 12.

Why I took the educational journey I did:

I did drama, English, physics, chemistry and maths B in year 12, then enrolled in a science degree at the University of Queensland. However, the physics there was very similar to what I’d done at school. I also did a drama elective and found this more challenging and enjoyable.

I changed courses and enrolled in arts, with a double major in drama. I was fortunate to study with a great intake of students who encouraged each other. Quite a few are now my peers and colleagues in the arts sector. After I graduated, I worked as a production manager and stage manager, including at Brisbane’s La Boite Theatre Company, the Queensland Theatre Company and with different arts festivals.

After about five years, I returned to the University of Queensland. Professor Joanne Tompkins told me about a project she was working on and I became her research assistant. She convinced me I had what it takes to do a doctorate. I studied this full-time for three years, and then part-time while I also did some tutoring. I’ve been with the Melbourne Fringe Festival since 2010. This year is our 30th anniversary and we’re constantly trying to reinvent what we do.

We sell about 500,000 tickets for our diverse program, which ranges from the edgy and the new to children’s shows. I love my job and work with a great group of people.

Best lesson ever learnt:

Not everything you do will work out, but it’s important to get back up and try again.

If I could change anything about my education:

I would change nothing as I had a well-rounded education.

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

Closed

Car profits driven overseas

May 28th, 2019 / / categories: 江苏夜网 /

Nanjing Night Net

A BUSINESSDAY analysis of the latest financial accounts for Australia’s big three car makers has found profits were again eroded by hefty royalty payments to parent companies overseas while the government continued to subsidise their operations here.

Royalty payments from GM Holden and Toyota to their overseas bosses last year – Ford did not report these payments – amounted to $221.4 million. This was marginally less than the $222 million the two car makers received in government grants.

The figures are grist to the mill of car industry critics who say the handouts are a waste of taxpayer money, made only because of the threat of plant closures and job losses.

In the case of GM Holden, royalty payments rose to $143 million in 2011 from $129 million in the previous year.

No breakdown was provided by the company but these intellectual property payments, perhaps for use of the logo and so forth, exceeded $89.68 million Holden received in government grants last year.

The grant almost exactly matched the $89.69 million profit GM Holden reported for the same period.

Toyota Australia, the biggest of the car makers, paid out royalties of $78.4 million, compared with $99.9 million the previous year.

Toyota received $132 million in grants during the year.

Sales were $7.2 billion, down from $8.2 billion. But the most striking figures from its financial report were on its costs of sales generated with related parties offshore – it was $5.2 billion out of $6.66 billion worth of sales costs.

Between the three makers, sales were $14.1 billion last year and related party transactions were $7.16 billion.

This means that for every dollar of sales recorded by Australia’s car industry last year, 50¢ of costs were generated by offshore companies related to Holden, Ford and Toyota.

It appears that as well as creating jobs locally – with the help of the government – Holden, Toyota and Ford are also creating plenty of jobs in other countries.

The other telling aspect of the accounts was the overall cost of sales. Other industries may show a gross margin of 50 per cent. By contrast, the auto makers regularly have 90 per cent of their total sales eaten up by cost of sales. Combined, their costs were $13.15 billion last year.

The more that revenue is eaten up in costs and assorted transactions with related companies offshore, the less tax the auto makers pay in Australia.

The most recent accounts appear to corroborate the claims of the car industry’s detractors that they are deliberately ”transfer pricing” and cooking up ways to send money overseas while asking for government grants in Australia. The car industry has always denied this.

The accounts for Ford, the weakest of the three, did not report royalty payments to its US parent.

The car maker reported revenue of $2.75 billion and a loss of $289 million.

It received grants totalling $102 million.

Ford’s retained earnings have been in sharp decline with contingency in its accounts for repaying a government grant because it had not fulfilled the criteria.

At the net profit level, GM Holden’s $89 million profits was down from $112 million in the previous year and Toyota made a loss of $33 million.

Toyota’s loss would mean no tax will be paid, with losses deferred for offsets against future profits.

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.